Tips for Being In Charge
Quote of the Week
“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.”
— Hunter S. Thompson
Tips for Being in Charge
by Bob Nelson
- “Do not procrastinate. There’s no time better than the present to do what needs to be done.
- Constantly prioritize your work and do the most important things first. Priorities count! Save less important tasks for times when you have caught up with your most urgent issues.
- Don’t wait for others to make the first move. When something needs to be done, just get out there and do it!
- Be a participant, not a spectator. You’ll achieve your professional and personal goals much more quickly, and you’ll be a happier, more productive person.
- Take advantage of opportunities quickly. Many opportunities are fleeting: act on them before someone else does, or before the chance to act slips away (Nelson, 1999, p.46).”
Reference: Nelson, B. (1999). 1001 ways to take initiative at work. New York: Workman Publishing.
Reprinted with permission from the OSU Leadership Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, (614) 292-3114, http://leadershipcenter.osu.edu.
Coaching Call to Action
What are you doing to take action now?