7 Steps To Coaching Yourself To Reach Any Goal – Guaranteed!
“When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life, or in the life of another.”
— Helen Keller
7 Steps To Coaching Yourself To Reach Any Goal — Guaranteed!
by Nancy Gerber
- Start where you are, right now. Love and accept yourself just the way you are this minute, warts and all. Make a list of all of your great qualities, successes and abilities.
- Brainstorm to make a list of what you want to work on to improve in yourself. Notice the word – IMPROVE vs. CHANGE. And, make sure to phrase these things in a specific, action-oriented, constructive manner – ie – “I want to increase my fitness and health by exercising a minimum of 3 days a week and adopting a more healthy eating plan.” vs. “I must loose 50 lbs by March 1.”
- OK – now that you have this list – PICK ONLY ONE ITEM. That’s right – choose one thing ONLY that will be the focus of your efforts for the next 6-12 months. You’ve spent years acquiring the attitudes and habits that have brought you to where you are; to create lasting change will take time, energy, effort, thought, commitment, concentration and massive action. Keep your energy focused like a laser beam. The reason that most of us fail to keep our new year’s resolutions is that we make too many!
- Gather information – research – find others who have arrived where you want to be – pick their brains – gather all the info you can (if you are an info junkie, set a deadline for yourself so that you don’t get caught up in the research and forget to move forward!).
- Create a plan that makes sense FOR YOU – considering your lifestyle, other commitments, schedule, etc. – one that has realistic and do-able, reach-able goals – set yourself up for success! Focus more on the behavior changes you want to make, and the results will take care of themselves.
- Find an accountability buddy or group – you need others to support and encourage you – to help you celebrate successes and encourage you to move through the inevitable setbacks. This is one of the most powerful factors in your overall success.
- Get into action and stay in action. You will need many course corrections and recalibrations – this is normal. You will feel uncomfortable, frustrated, anxious, discouraged, and tempted every day to give up. This is normal. Accept that these things are part of the process – experience them without allowing them to stop you. Just keep trying.
Copyright 2008 by Nancy Birnbaum-Gerber. All rights reserved. Used with permission. Nancy Gerber, Professional Certified Coach and President of Stepping Stones can be reached at http://www.sstones.com.
Coaching Call to Action
We are one month into the New Year. How are you doing on the goals you set for 2008? Choose one that you really want to focus on and accomplish. Pick the one that will make the biggest difference for you in 2008. Nancy has great ideas on making this goal come alive and be accomplished. If you would like some more help with this goal, see the February 6th offering below..