People Are Like Icebergs

“What else is love but understanding and rejoicing in the fact that another person lives, acts, and experiences otherwise than we do?”

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

People Are Like Icebergs

By Brian Tracy

It’s not easy.  Individuals are incredibly complex.  They have been formed and shaped mentally and emotionally by thousands of small and large experiences. Every thought, feeling, emotion, success, failure, fear, desire, and experience going back to childhood has had an influence on how the person in front of you became the way he is today.  This is equally true for you, too.

Imagine that each person who reports to you is an iceberg.  Only 10 percent of the iceberg is visible above the surface.  The other 90 percent, which you cannot see, understand, or influence, is under the water, in the past experiences and subconscious of the person in front of you (Tracy, 2011, p. 48).

From:  Tracy, B (2011).  Full engagement: inspire, motivate, and bring out the best in your people.  New York: AMACOM

Reprinted with permission from the OSU Leadership Center, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, (614) 292-3114, http://leadershipcenter.osu.edu/

Coaching Call To Action

This week give yourself time to reflect on your employees.  Seek to understand each and every one a little more.  Look beneath the surface.