The Purposeful Team
“Teamwork is the ability to work together toward a common vision. The ability to direct individual accomplishments toward organizational objectives. It is the fuel that allows common people to attain uncommon results.”
The Purposeful Team
By Simon Tyler
Many of the teams with whom I have been involved, as a member or as the coach and facilitator, find themselves just existing, delivering the stream of actions that are required and occasionally a few more.
Inside all of us and all teams is the nagging sense that more is possible. I am sure you have often heard the 1+1=3 synergy story, the sum of the parts etc. And indeed significant greater potential lies just in reach for every team.
Consider this simple stepped line of enquiry for your team, and allow the answers to guide your way ahead:
What do I personally want or get from being part of a team?
- responses from the group will be different. Bringing them to the surface helps each realize that we all can achieve our own desires, together.
Who are our customers?
- stakeholders, contributors, everyone that your team impacts.
What do they say about us?
- you could even ask them. Although they have or are already communicating in verbal and nonverbal ways.
What do we want them to say about us?
- be as adventurous and as outrageous as you can, stretch beyond what even seems possible from where you are.
Design the Change
- what stops you (clear out the barriers).
If you follow this path, please let me know I’d be delighted to support in any way I can.
Simon Tyler is one of the world’s leading business coaches. His work simplifies the lives of business leaders and owners. He is an incisive consultant, inspirational writer, provocative public speaker and master facilitator. To learn more about Simon, visit http://simontyler.com.
Coaching Call To Action
If all of the teams you are part of are thriving and successful, congratulations! Will you share below what you have found to be most helpful in getting there?